Thursday 22 April 2010

A Hectic Weekend

The fine weather and sunshine encouraged me to take a walk round Bishop Monkton on friday evening and after locating two drumming male Lesser-spotted Woodpeckers and fresh tracks of Otter as I headed back to the van I was in good spirits. Alas this did not last long as lying at the side of the road I found a freshly dead Otter, what a blow for a small population trying to establish its self.



Saturday saw me up before the larks and heading out into the Yorkshire Dales looking for Black Grouse. Despite the highways agencys best efforts to thwart my intentions I arrived on site at 06:30 and was rewarded with 12 fantastic birds bubbling away and putting on a fine show, with Lapwing, Curlew, Snipe, Redshank and Golden Plover in the same area and Skylarks and Meadow Pipits singing overhead I had a wonderful 2 hours in a bright sunlit but cold morning. Unfortunately the pub was not open for breakfast so I wandered home over the tops and picked up another three Blackcock and at least five Ringouzels. Afternoon spent gardening and housework, well its got to be done.


Sunday brought anothere early start this time ringing at BMI where a total of 48 birds were caught, I considered this a little slow but Natasha and David my keen trainees enjoyed it. A big bonus here was a male Goshawk which put on a good display over the bottom wood. There was also several butterflys on the wing which added some colour and insect interest, it had been far too cold overnight to run the moth traps. Despite wandering round several spots in the afternoon nothing new materialised, both Kes and me were well knackered by dinner time.


Back to work in the morning for a rest !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment