Thursday 5 August 2010

Mid week Moffing and the odd Bird

A day off today allowed for some mid week Moff action, to be honest I wished I had stayed in bed. There was a few nice ones, but numbers and species were disappointing. Best were Old Lady and the fist Sallow of the Autumn.
Sallow

Old Lady

Only 41 moth species as the temperature dropped away quite a lot with clear skies. Very few new birds in the nets undoubtedly the best was the first Grasshopper Warbler of the Autumn.

Grasshopper Warbler
The most interesting thing today in my mind was an invasion of hoverflies, there was 100s if not 1000s about. They were on every flower, I have no idea as to identity so if anyone actually reads this and knows, please let me know.

Just a few of the Hoverflies

1 comment:

  1. Hi Uncle Birdy!

    Spotty here!

    There are lot's of hover flies in my garden too. They look like wasps!

    I am interested in the competition you are having with the Norwegian man, I hope you win. That'll teach them, coming over here in the eighth century and doing all that raping and pillaging. What is pillaging?

    I myself have also seen over two hundred birds this year, but most of them were Herrings Gulls at Scarborough on the weekend, when I went to see my Aunty Doreen.

    We didn't have tea tonight so I am really hungry, my Mum said she would cook an octopus but it kept reaching out and turning off the gas, so it was pot-noodle (again ).

    Nice pictures on the blog

    Spotty ( Herbert )

    ReplyDelete