Sunday 10 October 2010

Gold Strike

With more conducive conditions for ringing Kes and me were joined by Aidan for a mornings ringing at BM. I think we were all hoping for a Yellow-browed, well two of us were the other was hoping someone would throw a stick. (I have tried to get Aidan to seek help with this problem) Alas the wished for bird made landfall a few miles to the north with Nosterfield Nature Reserve near Masham getting this little gem from the east. Even worse two Blue-tails made land within twitching distance but thankfully neither were in Yorkshire, as I had other commitments in the afternoon and very enjoyable they turned out to be, there will be others I hope (thats enjoyable other commitments and Blue-tails).

I digress, the ringing went well with 147 birds of 17 species been ringed and a couple of nice returning old friends for the winter. Top score went to Goldfinch with 104 with amazingly Goldcrest with seven coming in second. Summer was still represented by singles of  Chiffchaff and Blackcap and winter got its foot in the door with a Redwing. Aidan also scored a ringing tick with a nice juv male Sparrowhawk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment